Roasted Chicken with Apple Stuffing
Recipe courtesy of Michigan Apple Committee.
1 whole (3 to 4-pound) chicken, trimmed of excess fat
Garlic Butter Rub:
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 cups firm white bread, cubed
1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken broth
1 large tart Michigan apple, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 large tart Michigan apple, cored and cut into wedges
1 large sweet onion, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels inside and out. Place in roasting pan.
- In small bowl, combine garlic, butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Loosen skin of chicken wherever possible, and spread half of the butter/garlic mixture under skin. Sprinkle additional salt and pepper over skin. Put remaining butter in roasting pan.
- Place bread cubes in mixing bowl. Toss with apples, cherries, thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Moisten with chicken broth.
- Melt butter in large skillet; add onion and celery and sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add to stuffing and toss. Stuff chicken loosely with mixture. Tie legs together and roast 40 minutes.
- Add white wine, to deglaze the pan along with apples and onions to pan and continue roasting about 40 minutes, until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 160°F (71.1°C) to 165°F (73.8°C). Remove bird to platter and let rest 5 minutes before carving.
Makes 4 servings.
Note: Drippings from pan may be used as an excellent base for gravy.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 277; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 74mg; Total Carbs: 11g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 22g; Sodium: 412mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Michigan Apple Committee.