Roasted Garlic Chicken and Wild Mushroom Risotto
This terrific recipe for Roasted Garlic Chicken with Wild Mushroom Risotto was submitted by Jamie Miller of Maple Grove, Minnesota.
1 large head garlic
4 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps quartered
4 ounces fresh white mushrooms, quartered
2/3 cup chopped shallots
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 cups low sodium chicken broth - divided use
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper - divided use
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Chop top off garlic, exposing cloves. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, wrap in foil and bake 45 minutes in 450°F (230°C) oven. Cool slightly, squeeze out garlic into small bowl and mash with fork to form smooth paste.
- In 1 cup hot water, soak porcini mushrooms about 20 minutes; drain, rinse and chop.
- In medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add shiitake and white mushrooms and sauté about 1 minute; add porcini mushrooms and sauté additional 2 minutes. Transfer to small bowl.
- To same saucepan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add shallots and rosemary; sauté 2 minutes. Add rice and stir 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring, until liquid is almost evaporated. Gradually add chicken broth, stirring, and cook about 20 minutes until most liquid evaporates.
- In large skillet over medium heat, place remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken, sprinkle with salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper; cook about 4 minutes per side. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth, cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook 5 minutes more.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; add to risotto. Add mushrooms, garlic, Parmesan, parsley and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.