Rosemary Chicken with Mediterranean Brown Rice
Flavorful and moist, fresh rosemary-seasoned chicken served with a zesty citrus and white wine pan sauce and wholesome brown rice.
1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
1/2 of a 0.7-ounce packet Italian salad dressing mix
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine (regular or nonalcoholic)
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 medium green onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves (optional)
1 medium lemon, quartered
- Prepare the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the salad dressing mix and rosemary over both sides of the chicken. Using your fingertips, gently press the mixture so it adheres to the chicken.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Add the chicken and immediately reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 4 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the center. Transfer to a plate.
- Increase the heat to medium high. In the same skillet, stir together the wine, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Cook for 2 minutes, or until reduced to about 1/4 cup. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Stir the green onions and oregano into the cooked rice. Spoon the rice onto a platter. Arrange the chicken on the rice. Spoon the sauce over the chicken. Squeeze the lemon over the chicken and rice.
Makes 4 servings; 3 ounces chicken and 1/2 cup rice per serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories 263; Total Fat 8.5 g; Saturated Fat 1.5 g; Trans Fat 0.0 g; Polyunsaturated Fat 1.0 g; Monounsaturated Fat 5.5 g; Cholesterol 66 mg; Sodium 477 mg; Carbohydrates 13 g; Fiber 1 g; Sugars 2 g; Protein 27 g.
Dietary Exchanges: 3 lean meat; 1 starch.
Recipe and photograph reprinted with permission from Light & Easy Recipes, Copyright © 2008 by the American Heart Association. Published by Publications International, Ltd. Available at ShopHeart.com while supplies last; through ECES, Inc., Electronic Color Editorial Services.