South-of-the-Border Chicken Cacciatore
This chicken dish is a tasty infusion of Mexican and Italian flavors.
4 bone-in chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 (14-ounce) can pizza sauce
1 (8-ounce) jar taco sauce
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup frozen corn
3/4 cup cornbread stuffing for garnish (optional)
Rice or pasta for accompaniment
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add chicken breasts and sauté until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and pour off all but 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion, garlic and bell peppers; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in pizza and taco sauces; add water and parsley. Return chicken to skillet; bring sauce to simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, turning chicken after 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn, turning chicken again; continue to simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes. Spoon into serving dish, sprinkle with corn stuffing.
- Serve over rice or pasta.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.