Southwestern Chicken & Rice Casserole
Ingredients and seasonings like black beans, corn, bell pepper, jalapeños, onion, garlic, cumin and Monterey Jack cheese give this chicken and rice casserole classic Southwestern flavor. This hearty dish is a great choice for casual entertaining, too.
2 cups water
2 teaspoons MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
3/4 cup long-grain white rice
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 bell pepper, any color, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 (12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups cooked, chopped or shredded chicken breast meat (about 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves)
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed well and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen, thawed corn, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease 13x9x2-inch or 3-quart casserole dish.
- Bring water and bouillon to a boil in medium saucepan. Add rice; cover. Reduce heat to low; cook for 15 to 18 minutes or until rice is almost tender and most of liquid is absorbed (the rice will continue to cook in the casserole).
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in garlic; cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Whisk together evaporated milk and eggs; stir into saucepan along with prepared rice, chicken, cheese, beans, corn and cilantro. Spoon into prepared dish.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and edges are golden.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 590; Calories from Fat: 220; Total Fat: 25g; Saturated Fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 200mg; Sodium: 920mg; Carbohydrates: 46g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugars: 9g; Protein: 44g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.