Spanish Gold Chicken
This terrific recipe for Spanish Gold Chicken was submitted by Lisa Keys of Middlebury, Connecticut.
1 small Spanish onion
4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
4 bone-in chicken breast halves with skin
3 tablespoons olive oil
Spanish Relish (recipe follows)
- In container of food processor, mix together onion, garlic, oregano, paprika, pepper, salt, lime juice and orange juice until smooth. With processor running, slowly add oil; process until well blended.
- Divide herb mixture in 2 equal parts; divide 1 part in 4 equal portions. Gently loosen skin from chicken and spread 1 portion under skin of each breast half.
- In shallow baking dish just large enough to hold chicken, place remaining herb mixture; arrange chicken on top.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven, occasionally basting chicken with pan juices, about 1 hour or until fork tender.
- To serve, place chicken on a warm platter and spoon Spanish Relish on top.
Makes 4 servings.
Spanish Relish: In a shallow bowl, place 10 snow peas julienned; 1 plum tomato, chopped; 1/2 medium onion and 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped. Pour enough boiling water over vegetables to cover. Let stand 5 minutes; drain. In small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup sherry vinegar, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric. Pour over vegetables. Let stand at room temperature until ready to serve with chicken.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.