Spiced Chicken and Beans with Rotini
A hearty and satisfying Southwestern-spiced chicken and bean stew served over rotini pasta.
Vegetable cooking spray
2 cups chopped onion
4 coves garlic, minced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, undrained
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
1/2 cup dry white wine and tomato juice
1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
1 to 2 tablespoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into large pieces
Salt and pepper, to taste
12 ounces rotini or other shaped past, cooked, warm
2 tablespoons sliced pitted green olives (optional)
2 tablespoons sliced pitted ripe olives (optional)
- Spray bottom of large saucepan with cooking spay; heat oven medium heat until hot. Sauté onion and garlic until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, wine and herbs; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Add chicken; simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked and tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture over pasta in bowls; sprinkle with olives.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Bean Education & Awareness Network.