Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Reducing calories and salt in a recipe doesn't have to mean boring, flavorless dishes—as this tasty stuffed chicken breast recipe proves.
Vegetable Oil Spray
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (10-ounce) package chopped broccoli
1 tablespoon slivered almonds
1/3 pound fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 small onion, minced
2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning Blend
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup 1% milk
3 tablespoons light cream cheese, cut into small cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb Seasoning Blend
1/2 cup stuffing (from above)
- Flatten chicken breast halves between two pieces of plastic wrap.
- Cook broccoli and drain.
- Lightly spray non-stick skillet with vegetable oil spray. Sauté onion and mushrooms for a few minutes. Add broccoli, almonds and Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb and continue cooking for five minutes.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the stuffing. Place 1/4 of the remaining stuffing in middle of each chicken breast. Roll each breast around stuffing and secure with toothpick. Place in baking dish, lightly spray chicken with vegetable oil spray and cover, bake in 350°F (175°C) oven for 25 minutes, remove cover for the last 2 minutes to brown.
- Make sauce by melting butter over medium heat; add flour and mix well for 1 minute. Add milk slowly and cook until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in cream cheese cubes until smooth. Stir in Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb and remaining 1/2 cup of stuffing.
- Serve sauce over chicken breasts and remove toothpicks before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 281, Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 99mg, Sodium: 175mg, Potassium: 782mg, Carbohydrates: 11g, Protein: 39g, Fiber: 3g.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.