Sublime Sub-Continental Chicken Curry
This terrific recipe for Sublime Sub-Continental Chicken Curry was submitted by Annie Groer of Washington, DC.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 large onions, quartered, sliced
3 large garlic cloves, sliced
3 tablespoons mild curry paste
3 tablespoons ginger pickle
3 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups nonfat yogurt
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
4 cups water
2 cups basmati rice
1 tablespoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
5 drops red food color
- Cut chicken into bite-size chunks; set aside.
- In large skillet over medium heat, place oil. Add onions and garlic and sauté about 7 minutes.
- Stir in curry paste and ginger pickle; cook 5 minutes more.
- Add spinach, chicken and broth; cook, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- In large bowl, mix together yogurt, cucumber, mint and seasoned salt; set aside.
- In large saucepan, place water and bring to a boil. Add rice, salt and turmeric; cover and cook until fluffy, about 20 minutes. Add peas and food color; let sit 7 minutes, then toss carefully to mix.
- In oven set on broil, place papadums on middle rack, leaving door open; heat about 30 seconds, turn and cook 15 seconds more, taking care not to burn.
- On large platter, place rice with chicken mixture in center. Pass yogurt-cucumber mixture and papadums.
Makes 8 servings.
*A flatbread made from ground chickpea flour. If unavailable, substitute with pita bread, flour tortillas or other flatbreads.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.