Tortilla Crusted Chicken Paillard with Sacaton Relish
Chicken cutlets encrusted with crushed tortilla chips, pan-fried and served with a tomato, onion and green chile relish with bits of crisp crumbled bacon.
3 strips bacon, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 (4.5-ounce) can diced green chiles
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup tortilla chip crumbs
1 egg white, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- In medium saucepan, sauté bacon over medium-low heat until just crisp. Add onion; cook until light browned, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and green chiles; cook for 3 minutes more. Sprinkle salt and pepper into dish; stir. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Between two sheets of plastic wrap, place chicken breasts. Pound with meat hammer to 1/4 inch thickness. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Place flour in pie plate or other flat dish.
- Place egg white in shallow bowl.
- Place tortilla chip crumbs in third bowl.
- Dip each chicken breast first into flour, patting off excess, then into egg. Finish by coating with crumbs.
- In large, non-stick skillet, warm oil over high heat. Add chicken and brown each side, turning after about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; continue to cook chicken until firm, about 5 more minutes on each side.
- To serve, place chicken on platter. Warm relish and spoon on top of chicken.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.