Walnut Chicken with Plum Sauce
This versatile dish makes a delicious entrée or appetizer.
4 boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/4 pounds)
1 tablespoon sherry
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 egg whites
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 to 2 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
Vegetable oil for frying
1 cup plum jam
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; sprinkle with sherry, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites at high speed of electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add cornstarch to egg whites, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in chicken.
- Roll each chicken piece in chopped walnuts; fry in 2-inches of hot oil (350°F / 175°C) until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with Plum Sauce.
- For Plum Sauce: Heat plum jam in a small saucepan over medium heat until melted. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Make about 1 1/4 cups.
Makes 4 main dish servings.