Brownie Cut-Out Cookies
A yummy chocolate alternative to the typical sugar cookie cut-outs. Drizzle icing on them for an added treat.
4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 pound unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon milk
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Melt chocolate over hot (but not boiling) water in a double boiler; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter. Slowly add sugar and vanilla; beating well. Stir in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the cooled chocolate; blend well. Stir in dry ingredients and milk in alternating additions; fold in walnuts. Cover and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.
- Roll chilled dough 1/4-inch thick, cut into rounds or other shapes. Place on baking sheet 2-inches apart.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes. Cool completed on wire rack.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.