Cardamom Sugar Cookies
Cardamom-scented, buttery sugar cookies. Recipe by chef Jill Prescott.
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 large egg yolk
1/4 rounded teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Using an electric mixer, beat the Butter, sugar and cardamom for 2 to 3 minutes on medium high speed, until light and fluffy; scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Beat in the egg yolk, until just combined. Add salt, baking soda, and flour. Mix about 20 seconds on medium high, until all ingredients are well blended, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- For Cardamom Sugar: Mix 1/3 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom together in a small bowl.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar mixture. Place dough balls 3 inches apart on very lightly greased heavy cookie sheets, parchment-lined cookie sheets or sheets fitted with a French Silpat® sheet.
- For a conventional oven, bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. For a convection oven, bake 10 to 15 minutes. Watch cookies carefully, rotating sheets to prevent uneven browning, as necessary. Remove any cookies that are lightly browned to a cooling rack and place the rest back into the oven until baked.
- Cool completely on a wire cooling rack. Store in an airtight container or freeze.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.