Delightful cookies loaded with nuts and dates, rolled in crushed corn flakes and topped in the center with a bright red maraschino cherry.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup chopped dates or raisins
3 cups corn flakes (or other cereal flakes), crushed
Maraschino cherries - as needed, halved and blotted dry
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy; add eggs and blend well. Stir in flour mixture until just mixed. Fold in the chopped nuts and dates or raisins.
- Shape in 1-inch diameter balls and roll in corn flake crumbs and place onto lightly greased baking sheets. Press a cherry half into the center of each ball.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in sealed container.
Makes 2 to 3 dozen cookies.