Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
This is THE holiday gingerbread cookie for chocolate lovers!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon baking cocoa
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 1/2 teaspoons hot water
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Sugar for rolling
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cocoa. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl cream together the butter and fresh ginger. Add brown sugar and beat until fluffy. Add molasses; beat until well combined. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking soda mixture.
- Stir in remaining half of flour mixture until just mixed. Add chocolate chips and stir until blended. Cover bowl and refrigerate until for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and roll in sugar; place 2-inches apart on baking sheets. Bake for 11 to 15 minutes or until the surfaces crack slightly. Let cool 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.