Chocolate Hazelnut Meringues
Crisp, light-as-air, cinnamon-scented chocolate hazelnut meringue cookies.
1 1/2 cups hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment baking paper.
- Finely chop* 1/2 cup of the hazelnuts. Coarsely chop the remaining 1 cup nuts.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly at high speed, and beat until the whites are thick and glossy and the sugar is dissolved. Beat in the cinnamon. Fold in the melted chocolate and the nuts.
- Drop the batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until the meringues are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.
*Use a food processor to achieve finely 'ground' hazelnuts.