Chocolate Chip Cookies with Dried Fruit
The use of puréed prunes in place of the fat in this recipe, not only helps to make these chocolate chip cookies low-fat, but adds flavor, moisture, fiber and nutrition.
1 cup puréed pitted prunes
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 2 baking sheets; set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer at medium speed, beat prunes, sugar, brown sugar, egg whites and vanilla; blend thoroughly.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Stir dry ingredients into prune mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheet; flatten slightly.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.