Chocolate Shortbread Olé
Cinnamon and a just a hint of cayenne give these rich chocolate shortbread cookies unique flavor and a definitive south of the border flair.
2 (8-ounce) bars NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Baking Bar, broken into small pieces
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Microwave chocolate in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. If pieces retain some of their original shape, microwave at additional 10 to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, cinnamon and cayenne in medium bowl. Beat brown sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in melted chocolate. Stir in flour mixture until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 42 (3 1/2 dozen) cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/42 of recipe): Calories: 120 Calories from Fat: 70 Total Fat: 7 g Saturated Fat: 3.5 g Cholesterol: 10 mg Sodium: 25 mg Carbohydrates: 13 g Dietary Fiber: .5 g Sugars: 8 g Protein: 1 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.