Country Fair Sugar Cookies
Fill the cookie jar up with these soft and vanilla-scented, old-fashioned sugar cookies.
4 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
Additional granulated sugar for sprinkling (turbinado or coarse sugar is especially nice)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy; add the eggs and vanilla and blend well. Add the buttermilk alternately with the flour mixture until just mixed. Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in sealed container.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.