Cream Cheese Cookies
Almond-scented and drizzled with a sweet velvety icing, these cookies will disappear fast.
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup finely chopped nuts
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon milk
1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Beat shortening, sugar, cream cheese, egg and almond extract in a large bowl; blend well.
In a separate container, mix flour, salt and baking soda; stir flour mixture into shortening mixture until well blended. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Form the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in nuts. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten with a fork.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat. Pour in milk and 1 cup sugar; mix well. Frost cookies when cool.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.