Decorated Spice Cookies
"A great dough for making gingerbread people for the holidays." Recipe submitted by Dana Hunter.
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, allspice and cloves until blended.
- Beat butter and sugar in another large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. If using an electric mixer, reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture, beating after each addition until well blended. Divide dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a ball and flatten into 1-inch thick rounds. Wrap dough 'disks' in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one disk at a time to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough into desired shapes with lightly floured cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Chill and re-roll scraps.
- Bake 12 minutes or until cookies are golden on undersides and edges are just starting to brown. Cool completely on sheet on wire rack. Ice and decorate as desired.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.