Double Sugar Cookies
These double the sugar, sugar cookies are made with both powdered sugar and granulated sugar.
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1 cup powdered sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter, shortening and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, eggs and vanilla. Continue to beat until smooth.
- Gradually add dry mixture to bowl, stirring until mixed.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2-inches apart on cookie sheet and press with a glass bottom dipped in remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.