Holiday Stained Glass Cookies
These cookies, with their festively colorful candy 'windows', are as much fun to make as they are to eat!
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Crushed colored hard candies (about 1/3 cup)
- Separate colors of hard candy. Put each color candy into a freezer bag and crush with a wooden mallet.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In another bowl, sift togther flour and baking powder. Gradually stir flour mixture into wet ingredients until dough is very stiff.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill about 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Additional flour can be added if necessary.
- Cut out cookies using large holiday cookie cutters.
- Transfer cookies to a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Using a small cookie cutter, cut out and remove dough from the center of each cookie. Fill cut out sections with crushed candy. If using cookies as a hanging ornament, make a small hole at the top.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned and candy is melted.
- Slide foil off baking sheet. When cool, carefully loosen cookies from foil. If desired, decorate further with frosting and candy.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen medium cookies.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Sugar Association, Inc.