Iced Apple Cookies
Cake-like spice cookies, loaded with chopped apple and raisins and frosted with a simple vanilla icing.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup finely chopped and peeled apple
1 cup raisins
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 tablespoons half-and-half (light cream)
- For Cookies: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, mixing well. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream shortening and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and blend thoroughly. Stir half of flour mixture into creamed mixture. Stir in nuts, apple and raisins, then stir in remaining half of flour mixture and milk. Stir until just mixed.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls about 2-inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks. Spread icing on cookies while they are still warm.
- For Icing: Combine powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and enough cream to make icing of spreading consistency. Beat until smooth. Spread on warm cookies.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.