Iced Sugar Cookies
Everyone loves sugar cookies with icing—it's the gilded lily of cookie-land!
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon food coloring, any color (optional)
3 teaspoons water
- For Cookies: Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until thoroughly combined.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. Stir into creamed mixture until thoroughly mixed.
- Shape into a ball, cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out dough 1/8-inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges.
- Remove to a wire rack too cool. Drizzle or spread icing on cookies when cool.
- For Icing: Combine powdered sugar, food coloring and enough water until desired consistency is reached.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.