Mocha Chip Cookies
Enjoy a latté with these mocha flavored cookies studded with milk chocolate chips.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules dissolved in 1 1/2 teaspoons water
1 cup milk chocolate chips
2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Additional sugar for rolling
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa and cream of tartar; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, cream the shortening, butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg, beating well, add coffee/water mixture and blend well. Stir in flour mixture until just blended. Fold in chocolate chips and pecans until blended. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in additional sugar. Place 2-inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Press with fork to flatten.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.