Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Applesauce adds moisture, flavor and reduces the fat content in these low-fat oatmeal cookies studded with chocolate chips and crunchy nuts.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup applesauce
2 large egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a small bowl sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine brown sugar, sugar, butter and applesauce; beat until blended.
Fold in egg whites and vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture, oats, chocolate chips and nuts, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.