Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
In the 1920s, creamy filling mounded between two big, puffy cookies became a phenomenon. These red velvet cookies, with a luscious cream cheese-based filling, are ideal for the holidays.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring (2 tablespoons)
Whoopie Pie Filling:
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 of an (8-ounce) package softened cream cheese
1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line baking sheets with parchment; set aside. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds. Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined. Stir in food coloring.
- Spoon batter in 1 or 2-inch diameter rounds, about 1/2-inch high on prepared baking sheets, allowing 1-inch between each round.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes for 1-inch cookies or 9 to 11 minutes for 2-inch cookies, or until tops are set. Cool completely on baking sheets on rack. Remove cooled cookies from baking sheets.
- For Whoopie Pie Filling: In medium mixing bowl beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Fold in marshmallow creme.
- To Fill: Dollop Whoopie Pie Filling on flat sides of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat sides down.
Makes 60 (1-inch) or 42 (2-inch) cookies; 30 or 21 whoopie pies.
To store: Refrigerate in airtight container up to 4 days. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (one 1-inch whoopie pie): 70 kcal cal., 3g fat (2g sat. fat, 0g polyunsaturated fat, 1g monounsatured fat), 12mg chol., 49mg sodium, 10g carb., 0g fiber, 5g sugar, 1g protein.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.