Thin and crisp, sliced refrigerator cookies, loaded with pecans, and both red and green candied cherries with coconut edges. (The coconut is Santa's whiskers.)
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla or rum extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped red candied cherries
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped green candied cherries
3/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk and vanilla or rum extract, blending well. Stir in flour, pecans, and red and green candied cherries.
- Shape dough into two 8-inch rolls. Roll in coconut. Wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper and freeze until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Unwrap rolls and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 2-inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.