Savory Chocolate-Rosemary Biscotti
This unique biscotti has an enticing flavor combination of chocolate and rosemary enhanced with a touch of sea salt.
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
4 large eggs, room temperature - divided use
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons white wine (optional)
1 3/4 cups (11.5 ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks - divided use
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line large baking sheet with parchment paper or grease well.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and rosemary in medium bowl. Whisk 3 eggs and sugar in large bowl until well combined. Add olive and vegetable oils; whisk until well combined. With fork, add in flour mixture and 2/3 cup chunks; stir together to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough lightly to bring together. (Dough will be slightly oily.) Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a log, about 16 inches long and 1 inch high.
- Place each log onto prepared baking sheet. Press top of each lightly to flatten slightly. Beat remaining egg in small bowl. Brush top of each log with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from tray from oven and place on wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Place logs on cutting board and diagonally slice each loaf into 3/4-inch slices. Place slices back on baking sheet, flat side down.
- Bake for an additional 4 minutes; turn each piece over. Bake for an additional 4 to 6 minutes or until dry. (Be careful to not overbake or the biscotti will become too hard.) Remove from baking sheet to wire rack(s) to cool completely.
- Line baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- Place remaining chunks in small, uncovered microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR. Chunks may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals; stirring until just melted. Dip one side of each biscotti in chocolate. Scrape along edge of bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place on prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes or until chocolate is set. Store in airtight container at room temperature for no more than 3 days.
Makes 3 dozen biscotti.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/36 of recipe): Calories: 130 Calories from Fat: 70 Total Fat: 7 g Saturated Fat: 2.5 g Cholesterol: 25 mg Sodium: 80 mg Carbohydrates: 15 g Dietary Fiber: 1 g Sugars: 6 g Protein: 2 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.