Toasting brings out the extraordinary flavor potential of these highly versatile seeds as these crisp, delicate cookies will attest to.
1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon water
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- In a grinder or with a mortar and pestle, coarsely grind the sesame seeds.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the ground sesame seeds, flour, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl cream together shortening and sugar; beating until fluffy. Add 2 eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients gradually, until well combined. The dough will be moist.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour. Knead the dough to form a smooth ball. Shape by tablespoonfuls into balls; then flatten slightly. Place the cookies 3 inches apart on baking sheets, freeze for 20 minutes.
- After cookies have frozen, preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Brush cookies with a wash of egg yolk and water. Press the sesame seeds into the dough.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.