Southern Sour Cream Cookies
Old-fashioned soft, drop sugar cookies topped with cinnamon-sugar.
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a large bowl combine shortening and 2/3 cup sugar; beat in egg until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; slowly pour 1/3 flour mixture into creamed mixture; alternately with 1/4 sour cream; 1/3 flour mixture; 1/4 sour cream and remaining flour mixture, blending with each additional mixture. Stir in chopped walnuts until combined.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoon onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Dip a glass in water; then into 2 tablespoons sugar and press glass bottom on cookies, slightly flattening to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Stir together remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer cookies onto a wire rack for cooling.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.