Stained Glass Cookies
The beauty of cathedral windows is captured in these cookies as they remind us of the reason we celebrate the holidays.
1/2 cup butter or margarine, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 packages fruit-flavored hard candy rings, any flavor - crushed
- Beat together butter, sugar, honey, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer until creamy. Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough into desired shapes with 2 1/2 to 3-inch floured cookie cutters. Trace a smaller version of cookie shape on dough leaving a 1/2-inch border of dough. Cut out and remove dough from center of cookies; set aside. Place cookies on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with reserved dough, re-rolling scraps as necessary.
- Crush each color of candy separately between two layers of wax paper with a mallet. Spoon crushed candy inside centers of cookies, arranging different colors side-by-side.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until candy is melted and cookies are lightly browned. Cool cookies completely before removing from foil.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.