Sugar cookies are always fun to decorate during the holidays—eating and sharing them is even more fun!
2 sticks (1 cup) softened butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 large egg
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl combine softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, egg and blend together.
- In a second medium bowl add flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and whisk.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.
- Stir just to combine.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each half to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut the cookies into your desired shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place them on lightly oiled or parchment paper lined baking sheets. Separate them by about an inch.
- Next, sprinkle the shapes with granulated or colored sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 7 to 8 minutes, until edges are light brown.
- Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.
Makes 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cookies.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.