Sweet and Simple Canola Cookie Roll Outs
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.
1/3 cup canola oil
1 (10-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup meringue powder
1/2 cup water
4 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Cookies: Combine canola oil, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and eggs. Add flour, baking powder and salt. The mixture will be sticky.
- Separate the mixture into three equal sized balls. Wrap each ball with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or freeze for 10 to 15 minutes Remove from refrigerator or freezer and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Turn out dough on a floured surface and knead 10 times. Roll out and cut into shapes.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes until brown on the bottom. Cool cookies completely before you decorate.
- For Decorative Icing: Combine meringue power and water and beat for 2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, and continue to beat for 5 minutes. Add food coloring, if desired.
Makes 3 to 6 dozen cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutter.
Cookie Variation: Substitute almond flavoring for vanilla extract.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.