Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies
Delicious whole wheat sugar and spice cookies with a zesty kiss of orange flavor.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large mixing bowl cream 1 cup sugar and butter; add egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and orange peel. Add to creamed mixture along with milk and vanilla.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until brown.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.