Cheesy Apple Pie in a Glass
A parfait dessert of apples and raisins with mascarpone cheese, layered with crushed cinnamon graham crackers.
3/4 cup cinnamon graham crackers, crushed (8 squares total)
2 (4 cups) sweet-tart apples (Jonathan, McIntosh, Lady, Gravenstein), peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2/3 cup apple juice
3 tablespoons raisins
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice - divided use
1/4 teaspoon rum flavoring
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Mascarpone cheese
1 cup frozen vanilla yogurt (or vanilla ice cream)
Fresh apple slices for garnish
- In an uncovered saucepan, combine apples, apple juice, raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon allspice. Cook until apples are tender and juices have thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Stir in run flavoring and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once chilled, stir in vanilla, remaining 1/4 teaspoon allspice and Mascarpone cheese, mix well.
- Layer half of apple mixture on the bottom of 4 parfait glasses, followed by half of the graham crackers, then all of the frozen vanilla yogurt. Follow with remaining apple mixture and top with remaining graham crackers.
- Garnish with fresh apple slices if desired. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.