Cherry Cannoli Cups
A deliciously impressive dessert, yet it is so very simple to prepare.
48 wonton wrappers
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups chopped hazelnuts - divided use
1 (15-ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 tablespoon hazelnut liqueur, optional
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 jars (one 16-ounce and one 10-ounce) maraschino cherries, drained
- Place wonton wrappers on a work surface; brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with sugar. Press into greased miniature muffin cups. Sprinkle each wonton cup with 1 teaspoon hazelnuts.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the ricotta, cream cheese, powdered sugar, liqueur if desired and vanilla until smooth.
- Cut 24 cherries in half and set aside. Chop remaining cherries; fold into cheese mixture.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon filling into each wonton cup. Sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts. Top with a reserved cherry half.
Makes 4 dozen cannoli cups.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Nationalcherries.com; through ECES, Inc., Electronic Color Editorial Services.