Cranberry Rice Torte
A vanilla wafer crumb crust topped with cream cheese rice custard and a sweet-tart cranberry sauce.
1 1/4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (about 36 wafers)
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 cups cooked rice
3 cups milk - divided use
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
1 (16-ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Combine crumbs and butter. Press into buttered 9-inch springform pan or pie pan.
- Combine rice, 2 1/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in large saucepan. Simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy, about 15 minutes.
- Blend eggs, cheese and remaining 1/2 cup milk. Add to hot rice mixture. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Pour over crust. Chill until firm.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in saucepan. Stir in cranberry sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, until clear and thickened. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Cool.
- Spoon cranberry sauce over dessert just before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.