Grilled Peaches with Fresh Cherry Sauce
The grilled fruit is the perfect ending to a sumptuous backyard grilled feast.
Fresh Cherry Sauce:
1 pound dark Northwest cherries, pitted (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon kirsch (cherry liqueur)
4 medium peaches
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 cup vanilla ice cream
4 cookies (cigar cookies are shown in picture)
- For Fresh Cherry Sauce: In a sauté pan over medium to high heat, combine the pitted cherries, sugar, red wine, and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and purée until completely smooth.
- Return the mixture to the sauté pan over medium to high heat. Add the kirsch. Simmer until reduced to about 1/4 cup, 1 to 2 minutes.
- For Grilled Peaches: Cut the peaches in half and remove and discard the pits. Place the halves in a medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter and brown sugar together.
- Coat the peaches with the butter mixture.
- Grill the peaches over direct medium heat until grill marks are clearly visible and the peaches are soft, 10 to 12 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- While the peaches are still warm, layer each serving glass with 2 peach halves, 1 scoop ice cream, and 1 tablespoon cherry sauce. Tuck a cookie into each glass. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Washington State Fruit Commission.