Layered Apple Dessert with Vanilla Ice Cream
Apples, cooked tender in a caramel sauce, are sandwiched between layers of buttery, nut-filled filo dough.
2 large Golden Delicious apples
1/2 cup plus 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
4 tablespoons butter
4 sheets filo dough (12 x 17-inch)
8 teaspoons finely ground unblanched almonds
1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Peel and core apples; cut each into eighths.
- In large skillet, combine 1/2 cup sugar and water. Over low heat, stir mixture until sugar dissolves, then cook, without stirring, about 15 minutes until mixture is caramel colored.
- Stir in apple slices and 1 tablespoon butter (caramelized sugar will harden slightly, then dissolve). Cook 12 to 15 minutes or until apple is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare filo. Heat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Melt remaining butter. Brush one filo sheet with some butter; sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar and 2 teaspoons almonds over buttered filo. On top of this sheet, repeat layering, using 3 more sheets filo and the remaining butter, sugar and almonds.
- Cut out eight 3-inch rounds from layered filo; place in ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- To serve, place one round of filo on each serving plate. Top each with 2 apple slices. Place another layer filo on top and then spoon on remaining apples. Garnish with vanilla ice cream and serve.
Makes 4 servings.