Mascarpone Walnut Torte
A double layered walnut genoise torte filled and topped with a luscious, sweet mascarpone cream.
6 large eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 1/4 cups very finely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 large fresh egg yolks
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 packages (12-ounces total) mascarpone cheese, chilled
- For Walnut Torte: Line the bottoms of two greased 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper; grease paper and flour pans lightly.
- Beat egg yolks at high speed in large bowl for 2 minutes. Gradually beat 1 cup sugar into egg yolks, beating until very thick and lemon colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in salt and vanilla.
- Using clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl to soft peaks. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar gradually, beating to stiff peaks.
- Toss walnuts with flour. Fold 1/2 the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites. Then, fold in 1/2 the walnut mixture. Repeat with remaining egg yolk and walnut mixtures. Spread batter in prepared pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) until cakes are firm to touch and are beginning to pull away from the sides of the pans, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in pans, upside down, on wire racks until pans are cool, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove cakes from pans, loosening sides of cakes with sharp knife, if necessary. Remove parchment paper and cool completely.
- For Mascarpone Cream: Whisk sugar into egg yolks in small bowl; whisk in flour. Heat milk to boiling in medium saucepan. Gradually whisk 1/2 the milk into the yolk mixture; whisk yolk mixture into remaining milk in saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour into bowl and cool. Refrigerate covered until chilled.
- Let mascarpone cheese stand at room temperature in medium bowl until soft enough to stir, 10 to 15 minutes. Whisk egg yolk mixture into cheese until smooth.
- To assemble, place 1 cake layer on serving plate and spread with 1 cup Mascarpone Cream. Top with second cake layer and spread top of cake with remaining Mascarpone Cream. Refrigerate cake; let stand at room temperature 15 to 30 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the American Dairy Association.