Mocha Meringue Pudding
Creamy vanilla rice pudding topped with a layer of milk chocolate and crowned with a fluffy, coffee-flavored meringue.
3 cups cooked rice
3 1/2 cups low-fat milk - divided use
2/3 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
4 (1.55-ounce) bars milk chocolate, broken in squares
1 tablespoon instant coffee
- Combine rice, 3 cups milk, 1/3 cup sugar and salt in large saucepan. Cook over medium heat 20 to 25 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring frequently.
- Beat egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup milk in small bowl. Stir into rice mixture and cook 3 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spread into buttered 9x9x2-inch baking pan. Arrange chocolate bars over rice mixture.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, about 4 minutes or until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in coffee and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Spread over pudding.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°F) for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.