This simple Italian ice cream dessert is definitely cool way to end an Italian-themed meal.
1 (9-ounce) package chocolate wafer cookies, crushed (2 cups)
1.75 quarts coffee ice cream
48 chocolate-covered espresso beans
Whipped cream (optional)
- Put crushed wafer cookies in a shallow dish; set aside.
- Using a 1/4-cup ice cream scoop, make a slightly rounded ball of ice cream. Press your thumb into center to make an indentation, fill it with 3 chocolate-covered espresso beans. From edge of indentation, spread and press ice cream over to seal.
- Roll ice cream balls in wafers, and pat to coat.* Repeat with remaining ice cream.
- Place tartufo on a wax paper-lined plate or tray, and freeze for at least two hours before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
*To ease preparation, use one hand to scoop the ice cream and the other hand to insert coffee beans, press ice cream over the opening and place in the bowl of wafers. Use your scooping hand to sprinkle wafers over the ice cream ball, rolling it and pressing it in crumbs to achieve a round ball without touching the ice cream. After forming 4 to 5 tartufo, place them in the freezer and make next 4 to 5, continuing until all tartufo are formed.
Variation: To make a child-friendly version, substitute vanilla ice cream and maraschino cherries or malted milk balls for coffee ice cream and beans.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.