Plum Duff with Rum Sauce
This version of the old-time English Christmas holiday dessert, Plum Duff—also called Plum Pudding—includes a sweet, buttery rum sauce for accompaniment.
Plum Duff (Pudding):
2 large eggs
1/2 cup melted vegetable shortening
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups cooked prunes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons cold milk
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons rum
- Beat eggs well.
- Dissolve brown sugar in hot, melted shortening and add to eggs.
- Add cooked prunes that have been drained and mashed with fork.
- Sift flour and add. Dissolve soda in milk and add last.
- Fill greased pudding molds 2/3 full, cover lightly and steam one hour over rack in large cooking pot.
- Serve hot with Rum Sauce or whipped cream.
- For Rum Sauce: In small saucepan combine sugar, flour and salt; slowly stir in water and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add remaining sauce ingredients, mixing well. Serve warm.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.