Poached Pears in Red Wine Sauce
Crisp pears take on a rosy glow poached in lightly sweetened red wine. Teased with a bit of lemon and lime, these pears make the perfect autumn dessert.
6 pears, peeled with stems intact
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups red wine
1 cinnamon stick
1 lemon peel
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Lime for zests for garnish (optional)
- Place peeled pears in medium saucepan.
- Sprinkle sugar over pears and cover with red wine.
- Add fresh lemon peel and cinnamon stick.
- Simmer pears over low heat until tender, approximately 10 to15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Let pears cool in own juice. (Juice can be thickened slightly with corn starch if desired).
- To Serve: Remove core from bottom of pears and cut in half lengthwise. Place pear halves overlapping in center of plate. Spoon with sauce and sprinkle with lime zest and garnish with fresh mint. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.