Pumpkin Cheesecake with Caramel
Pumpkin is a food for which tradition reserves an honored place at the American Thanksgiving table. It's paired up here with another favorite, cheesecake for a decadently creamy dessert that's right for any occasion.
1 1/2 cups finely ground gingersnap cookies
1 1/2 cups toasted pecans, finely ground
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups canned solid pack pumpkin
9 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon purchased caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Crust: Combine ground cookies, ground pecans and sugar in bowl; add melted butter and mix until combined. Press crust mixture onto bottom and up sides of a 9-inch diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Set aside.
- For Filling: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until light. Transfer 3/4 cup mixture to small bowl; cover tightly and refrigerate to use for topping.
- Add pumpkin, 4 tablespoons whipping cream, cinnamon and allspice to mixture in large bowl and beat until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, beating just until combined.
- Pour filling into crust (filling will almost fill pan). Bake until cheesecake puffs, top browns and center moves only slightly when pan is shaken, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Transfer cheesecake to rack and cool 10 minutes.
- Run small sharp knife around cake pan sides to loosen cheesecake. Cool. Cover tightly and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Bring remaining 3/4 cup cream cheese mixture to room temperature. Add the remaining 5 tablespoons whipping cream to cream cheese mixture and stir to combine. Press down firmly on edges of cheesecake to even thickness. Pour cream cheese mixture over cheesecake, spreading evenly. Spoon the caramel sauce in lines over cream cheese mixture. Using tip of knife, swirl caramel sauce into cream cheese mixture. Release pan sides from cheesecake and serve.
Makes 10 servings.