Rich, smooth and creamy pumpkin flan with a luscious caramel sauce.
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup canned pumpkin purée
3 large eggs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground allspice
1 cup milk
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325°F (160°C).
- Stir sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Boil until mixture turns amber-colored, brushing any crystals that form on sides of pan with wet brush and swirling pan occasionally, about 7 minutes. Immediately divide caramel among six 1/2 cup soufflè dishes to cover bottoms and sides with caramel. Cool.
- Whisk pumpkin, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and allspice in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in milk. Divide mixture among soufflè dishes.
- Place dishes in large baking pan. Add enough water to baking pan to come halfway up sides of dishes. Bake until flan is set, about 55 minutes. Cool.
- Refrigerate at least 8 hours and up to 2 days. Run small sharp knife around edges of dishes to loosen. Invert flans onto dessert plates and serve.
Makes 6 servings.