A favorite, spring and summertime fruit cobbler, best enjoyed with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or a generous dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups 1-inch pieces fresh rhubarb
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- For the Biscuit Topping: Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or the tips of your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine milk and egg and add all at once to the flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Set aside.
- For Rhubarb Filling: Combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in saucepan. Add rhubarb, water and butter. Bring to boiling. Cook and stir 1 minute.
- To assemble cobbler, pour hot filling into an 9-inch square or round baking dish. Immediately spoon biscuit topping into 6 mounds on top of hot filling.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm with light cream, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Makes 6 servings.