Strawberries and Pears with Coconut Meringue
Strawberries and pears nestle beneath a golden cloud of coconut meringue.
2 ripe pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 large egg whites
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Arrange pears and strawberries in a 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- In a stainless steel or glass bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat until peaks are stiff and glossy. Gently fold in coconut.
- Spread meringue on fruit, taking care to seal edges.
- Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 6 servings.